Wednesday 8 January 2014

Voice of the Week: Ellie Goulding

How I found out

Her song Anything Could Happen was performed on the tv show Glee. I instantly thought it was a great song and wanted to find out more about her. Then I heard what her voice sounds like, and I was hooked past the point of no return.


Commentary

Some singers have a very unique kind of voice that just pops out, that you can't possibly mix up with someone else's – Ellie Goulding has that. She's not the first singer to go with the husky type of voice, but she's one of the very few who manage to do it without sounding like they're slowly destroying their vocal chords. She's also got a beautiful high register that sounds like crystal. I think the backgrounds of most of her songs are very intriguing. I like the way how she handles the themes she sings about; I've had to run through most songs more than twice to really grasp the meaning of the lyrics, even though they tend to be "typical" relationship-themed songs. I like it when artists aren't too obvious and predictable! Interestingly, I can listen to Goulding's music to both a relaxing and an energizing effect, depending on which one I need.

Favourite songs


Anything Could Happen


JOY


Only You

My first Ellie Goulding discovery – Anything Could Happen – is still my number one favourite from her, hands down. It's on my playlist of inspirational songs.


I would listen to this music when...

I need some positive energy.

Random lyric sample

I need a mission
A dream to stop me talking to myself
And now the silence is broken
And my soul is to sell
I need to pick up the pieces
To scatter to the wind
(Believe Me, album Bright Lights)

Stars ★★★★

1 comment:

  1. I agree with every word! I'd add 'Lights' to my favourite songs by her though. Such a great song to dance to. I might have to check out that Glee cover of 'Anything Could Happen' now. I haven't watched Glee in years but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete