Monday 24 March 2014

Musical Quote Quiz Answers

Time to reveal the right answers for my first ever blog quiz! Only two of my readers were brave enough to submit their answers, but I'm assuming that there were a little more participants than that. Anyway, I had very much fun making this Musical Quote Quiz and will definitely be making more of these in the future! As for my two (public) participants – Hannah scored a wonderful 25 points out of 30, while Siiri L. gains the promised title of musical savant extraordinaire along with eternal praise and glory, with 27 points out of 30! All I can say for you both is:

"You did well. She is pleased with you."
Here are all the correct answers, decorated with picture identifications of all the characters that were quoted.

Quote 1: Dancing Through Life from Wicked, sung by Fiyero
(I've never seen Wicked on stage but I know the general plot, and it annoys the heck out of me that I have no idea where this apparently somewhat iconic holding-the-lantern-and-looking-serious part happens. Someone please tell me?)


"Life's more painless for the brainless
Why think too hard when it's so soothing?"



Quote 2: It's A Fine Life from Oliver!, sung by Nancy


"Small pleasures, small pleasures, who would deny us these?
Gin toddies, large measures, no skimpin' if you please!"


Quote 3: On The Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady, sung by Freddie Eynsford-Hill


"I have often walked down this street before
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before."


Quote 4: Red and Black (or ABC Café) from Les Misérables, sung by Enjolras


"Have you asked of yourselves what's the price you might pay?
Is it simply a game for rich young boys to play?"


Quote 5: Johanna from Sweeney Todd, sung by Anthony


"Do they think that walls could hide you?
Even now I'm at your window
I am in the dark beside you
Buried sweetly in your yellow hair."


Quote 6: Magical Lasso from Phantom of the Opera, sung by Madame Giry. There's a picture of her in all her black-clad severity right at the beginning of this post.

"Those who speak of what they know
Find too late that prudent silence is wise."


Quote 7: Sound of Music from the musical that happens to have the same name, sung by Maria


"My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds that rise from the lake to the trees
My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies from a church on a breeze."


Quote 8: My Lord And Master from The King and I, sung by Tuptim

This was apparently a tricky one, so I'll give you the song here. A shame really, that it was cut from the film version.


"What does he know of me, this lord and master?
When he has looked at me, what has he seen?"





Quote 9: Why God Why? from Miss Saigon, sung by Chris


"I liked my memories as they were
But now I'll leave remembering her."


Quote 10: Another Day from RENT, sung by Roger


"Who do you think you are, barging in on me and my guitar?
Little girl hey, the door is that way, the fire's out anyway."

2 comments:

  1. 8D 27! I'm the musical master!! Yay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 25 out of 30? That's not too shabby :D

    It's been almost a year since I last saw Wicked but I'm fairly certain that the lantern bit comes just before the song 'As Long as You're Mine'. Wicked's a fantastic show. If you ever get the chance to see it I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete