Thursday 5 September 2013

Jemmthree – tune in for show tunes

I had been wondering for some time whether there existed a radio channel devoted to musicals, a channel which could be listened to in Finland too. I stumbled upon it the day before yesterday: Jemmthree, "the home of stage and screen".

Jemmthree offers an endless stream of great show tunes and songs from movies, with occasional snippets from its presenters. The most entertaining presenter, in my opinion, is Robin Crawley who hosts their Breakfast Show. Showtunes Afternoon with Stephen Beeny, on the other hand, is wonderfully informative about the world of musical theatre. Today, for example, I found out that they still haven't cast the roles of Kim and the Engineer for the London revival of Miss Saigon even though massive auditions were held in Britain, and that Michelle Williams is going to play Sally Bowles in the Broadway revival of Cabaret. 

I have been listening to this channel online for two days now and already I have been treated to practically all of my favourite musicals: The Sound of Music, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, Oliver! and RENT, to name a few. I have had a couple of wonderful coincidences with Jemmthree as well: they played We Kiss In A Shadow right after I had finished watching The King and I, and As Long As He Needs Me while I was writing about Nancy's Steps to my upcoming blog post about a trip to London I made last week.

So if you want to listen to great songs from stage and screen, go to Jemmthree!

No comments:

Post a Comment