Sunday 11 August 2013

Potter things that I've done

I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for the first time when I was nine years old and I'm immensely proud of belonging to the "Potter generation". During these many years of loving the Potter series, I've of course had time to do many bizarre things that only other Potterheads can understand. It's confession time for Mizzie-Me!


  • It's probably not even worth mentioning that I waited for my letter from Hogwarts after I turned 11 – didn't we all?
  • I envied my sister like crazy when her high school arranged a trip to London. I begged her to go see the King's Cross station on my behalf – come to think of it, I don't remember if she did!
  • I once had the most epic birthday party with a Philosopher's Stone theme. We made a sort of obstacle course around the house according to the rooms that Harry, Ron and Hermione went through to save the Philosopher's Stone. I'm not exactly sure what year this party was, but I have a feeling it might have been my 10th birthday.
  • For some weeks after I'd read Chamber of Secrets, I was honestly scared of going to the bathroom because I half expected a Basilisk to rise up from the toilet seat every time I opened the lid.
  • I wished our house was more like the Burrow.
  • My sister and I tried to beat each other at which one could do a better imitation of Fleur's and Madame Maxime's French accent in Goblet of Fire.
  • I've exhausted my brain a hundred times trying to decide which animal I'd be if I was an Animagus. I still haven't decided.
  • I still wish that I could easily find all my lost things with a simple Accio charm.
  • I planned a letter to J.K. Rowling in great detail, but I never neither wrote nor sent it.
  • Poor dad had to listen to me and my sister nearly shouting our voices hoarse when he picked us up after we'd seen the Goblet of Fire film. We just couldn't stand most of the things about that movie: Harry and Ron's hairdos, the ridiculously long "dragon pulls itself loose and chases Harry around for what feels like half an hour" scene, and Mad-Eye Moody looking like a drunk, to name a few.
  • I feel like punching the air in triumph every time Professor Flitwick does or says something cool because he shows how short people can be awesome.
  • One weekend in July 2007, our family went cruising around the lake on our new boat. All I did during that supposed family time was shut myself into one of the boat's cabins and consume Deathly Hallows like my life depended on it. I'm afraid I was so mean that I sent my sister (who didn't get her own copy and was going to read the book once I was finished) mean text messages like "This is the best book in the whole series!" and "Wow, there's something really interesting about ghosts in here!"




What memorable things have you done in the name of Potterlove?

2 comments:

  1. I love the HP series but haven't really done anything special, just read the books again and again... Well, when I was about eight years old, students from a nearby high school arranged a Potter-themed obstacle course for us elementary school kids. It included sorting. I got Hufflepuff. I didn't want to be a Hufflepuff (still don't – I'm a Ravenclaw, after all... ;D), so I was a bit upset. But not as upset as my friend, who got sorted into Slytherin: she burst into tears right there.

    Can one decide which animal their Animagus form would be? Or is it like Patronus, that you don't have control over it? I've a feeling that, no matter if I'd like it or not, my Animagus form would be a guinea pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the HP series too! I haven't really done anything memorable in the name of the fandom though. Er, I went to a midnight opening for when The Deathly Hallows got published. I went straight home and then read the book all night. I didn't get to bed until about 9 in the morning! I have a Ravenclaw T-Shirt too. In quizzes I always come out as either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw so it seemed like a good buy! : D

    ReplyDelete