Thursday 15 May 2014

Voice of the Week: Linda Eder

How I found out

I found the original Broadway cast recording of Jekyll & Hyde on Spotify, and Eder of course sings Lucy on it and does it so magnificently that I never forgot the sound of her voice. Actually, I found Jekyll & Hyde in a pretty random way – I was looking for Adele's Someone Like You and the search results gave me the song of the same name from the musical, as well as the Adele one.


Commentary

So, Linda Eder is essentially one more brilliantly talented musical performer to admire, armed with a voice that can be both huge enough to fill the space of ten football stadiums, and and so very lyrical that it can make a person just burst into tears. Whichever show tune she decides to cover, it turns up amazing in some way, often with a little unique touch of her own. Her 2008 album The Other Side Of Me moved into a more pop/country direction, but frankly, I don't think that style showcases her voice properly.

Favourite songs

Someone Like You

Vienna

Both of these songs show the power and expressiveness of Eder's voice brilliantly. She has also made a really charming cover of Accidentally In Love by Counting Crows, which I couldn't find in Youtube.


I would listen to this music when...

I want to spend my time trying to figure out how on Earth it is possible for a mortal human being to possess such a voice.

Random lyric sample

If I could
I'd protect you from the sadness in your eyes
Give you courage in a world of compromise
Yes, I would
If I could
I would teach all the things I've never learned
And I'd help you cross the bridges that I've burned
Yes, I would
(If I Could, album The Other Side Of Me)

Stars ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment