Thursday 10 April 2014

Voice of the Week: Billy Joel


How I found out

My mother has always loved Billy Joel, so I must have been quite young when I heard his music for the first time. Now I've been a fan too for many years, and the love just keeps growing.

Commentary

I admire just about everything in Billy Joel. His voice is incredibly attractive and versatile, practically all of his tunes are so memorable they stick in your head after one listen, and thematically his oeuvre is very diverse, ranging from friendship to love to independence to the Vietnam War! Of course you shouldn't assume that songwriters always write about their own life, but Joel sings with such effortless sincerity that it would be easy to believe he does.

Favourite songs

Alright, this is going to be a long list...

Piano Man

My Life

She's Got A Way

Goodnight Saigon

An Innocent Man

Tell Her About It


I would listen to this music when...

Billy Joel is good for almost any situation. Whether you want a good beat to match your uptempo mood or something that touches your heart, he's got it.

Random lyric sample

Well we all have a face that we hide away forever
And we take them out and show ourselves when everyone has gone
Some are satin, some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of the stranger but we love to try them on
(The Stranger, album The Stranger)

Stars ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment